Waterbury Village Fire Department History
CCC Camp Smith
Camp Smith was set up on a plateau above the Little River basin for the construction of the flood control dam after the disasterous flood of 1927. A large earthen dam was constructed above the gorge. Today little remains of the camp except some chimneys, stairs and platforms and depressions where the building used to stand. The plumbing still remains in the ground and some of the equipment that was moved up on the hillside still rests there.
The dam created what is know as Waterbury Reservoir which covers an old town and also flooded the main Waterbury-Stowe road (was a connection between Blush Hill Rd and Greg Hill Rd).
One night there was a fire in the officers barracks. Writeup about the fire by Brian Lindner.