Waterbury Fire Department
The Waterbury Village Fire Department was formed on 20 December 1882.
The village next was duly divided into four wards by the fire wardens
(C. N. Arms, C. E. Richardson, Edward Shiple, Edward Farrar.)
The first included that part between the bridge at east line of the village and
D. C. Caldwell's and the depot east; the second included Park Row to the east
side of Stowe Street to the dry bridge; the third, from the west side of Stowe
Street to the dry bridge including all west of the railroad and Thatcher's Brook
to the tannery; the fourth included all east of the railroad and Thatcher's
Brook from the tannery.
Since then there have been many changes in the department, equipment used, and the operating procedures. But the basic task of the service has not changed. We are there to save lives and protect property.